Oceania

Altogether 22 works from Oceania are included in Museum Folkwang’s collection. The large-format sculptures displayed originate from the island of New Ireland, the former New Mecklenburg in the Bismarck Archipelago which, from 1885 to 1914, belonged to the imperial German protectorate of German New Guinea and, as such, fell under German colonial rule in the South Pacific. Franz Wiesener, serving as imperial police chief for the colonial administration and on home leave in his native Hagen, presented these objects to Karl Ernst Osthaus on recommendation by Ada and Emil Nolde. The circumstances of purchase are unknown. In 1916, through the intermediary of Lucian Schermann, director of the Munich Museum of Ethnology and its ethnographic collection, this collection was expanded by various objects from the expressionist artist Hedwig Marquardt. In Essen, this inventory was later supplemented by some more objects, among them individual works on loan from Berlin museums since 1929.

To Africa...

Back...

Oceania
Malagan Figure, Early 20th century
Wood, carved, painted with pigments, putty, plant fibers
Donation of Franz Wiesener 1915 to the Museum Folkwang, Hagen, since 1922 Essen

Oceania
Malagan Figure, ca. 1912
Wood, carved, painted with colored pigments
Donation of Franz Wiesener 1915 to the Museum Folkwang, Hagen, since 1922 Essen

Oceania
Uli Figure, selambúngìn lórong-type, 19th century
Wood, carved and painted, resin, plant fibers, shell/snail shell, mollusc shell, putty
Loan of Ethnologisches Museums – Staatliche Museen zu Berlin since 1929

Photos: Museum Folkwang und Hans Hansen, 2009-2018